I had an idea this week that took a couple of days to accomplish. I did a layered pour and this is one of the pieces that came out of that experiment. I poured a layer in some molds with a glitter resin and let it set and cure for a day. Before removing it from the mold I finished filling the mold with resin colored with mica pigment. This one came out rather nice! Some of the other pieces turned out okay I just didn’t like them as well either because of the way I oriented the slant with the pour or I’m not thrilled with the color choices I made.
But the mica pigments had just arrived and I didn’t know the exact look I would get with some of these so lesson learned. I’ve also learned that a good deal of these colors change their look according to what the background color is. When I start hitting markets around here I believe I might do a display with say 6 of the same piece, same color and put them all on different colors of background so folks can see just how a piece can and does change according to what it’s laying on and then they can make choices from there.
Now I need to concentrate on getting everything I’ve poured the past week or two with jump rings, onto ribbons and chains and listed in my Etsy shop. That is a huge job with trying to get photographs to properly show this resin! No small task there. So I continue to play and pour when the weather allows and work on all sorts of fun stuff!
Falling on my head like a memory – admit it, you just sang that in your head! LOL At least any self respecting Eurythmics fan did. Last weekend was wet, we dried up enough to be able to pour resin during the week and we are raining again this weekend. The week was so crazy I lost a day somewhere and thought Thursday was Wednesday! But my allergies did not help.
This year pollen here in MD is killer. Folks who don’t normally have problems are having problems and those of us who do have trouble are just miserable. I’m trying to keep from going in for a breathing treatment, but may be fighting a losing battle here.
Anyway – yay! I had the time and the weather to get some resin poured this past week! I need to get jump rings in a lot of them still, and I need to start taking photos and start listing them on Etsy and look at possible hitting Maker’s Market at Annemarie Gardens. This is a few examples of how I spent my time this week…
It is difficult to get good photos of the confetti/glitter, but I love how the mouse came out! That one is awesome. The micro glitter in the sakura blossom is terrific along with the matte color of the elephant and giraffe in the wooden pendants. It’s difficult to see but the metal bezel has star confetti in it. I have a lot more I poured, this is just a “taste”. I’ll try to get more photos up soon.
When I start into a new arena of art I call it going down a rabbit hole. I’ve started down a new rabbit hole and it’s called resin… Boy do I have a learning curve on this one! But when I “play” with the resin right now trying to figure out my mixtures with the colorants I don’t know yet whether I’m an artist or mad scientist. LOL I think there may be a bit of both in there! I do tend to be one of those “Hey, let’s see what happens if I throw this in there, or I wonder how this would look” kinda artists. I come up with some interesting looks and some stupendous flubs! hahaha
These were done by pouring different colored resins into the center one after the other and as you can see each side has a totally different look to it. Really interesting to me. Not really sure which side I would say is the “front” so it may get used in some sort of sun catcher type thing. But I did it just to see how it would come out and what it would do – they were all colored with acrylic paints by the way.
These are hair sticks, shawl sticks, whatever sticks… I played with mica powder in the purple and red ones on the ends, the others are acrylic paints. None of my alcohol ink sticks came out. Either they were so light in color they looked clear, they had color but it was so much alcohol ink that they didn’t cure and stayed pliable, or they came out “sticky” and never cured. Alcohol inks are my nemesis at the moment and I’m not sure how much is the inks (80-90% most likely) and how much is weather related.
It has been cooler and high humidity to some rain on one day that I poured resin. Stupid me thinking I could get away with it because I had the AC on in the house to pull out the humidity in the air. Most of them did well, just not the alcohol ink ones. Learning curve.
Once I have these figured out I really want to start pouring and curing them for sale. I’ve got some neat ideas up my sleeve and can’t wait to start working on them!